<VV> Idle vs shut off

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 16:49:32 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/1/2008 1:20:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net writes:

If the  data is interesting and sweeping enough to cover Corvairs, please
post, but  otherwise please send me a private reply. (Yes, I know the major cost
problem  is educating the thousands of illegal students we have, but being a
teacher, I  am not allowed to go there, so the gas savings is fine  :-).
Thanks,
Grant

Short answer - If the bus has Fuel Injection, always turn it off - any
period more than 20 seconds or so. The FI systems will restart without use of
extra fuel.  If Carbureted, turning it off hot may cause other issues,  (fuel
boiling, etc.) leading to more fuel use- especially in hot Florida. And in  the
cold times, chokes, etc would cause more fuel usage for start up, not  to
mention a generally richer running mixture with carbs. I would pick a idling  time
period for Carbureted buses, say two minutes. If more than that turn it  off,
and always turn off Fuel injected vehicles. This applies to most cars as  well,
including Corvairs. - Seth Emerson

Home.