<VV> clannish.... Friendly CORSA members..

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 20:30:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/1/2008 4:49:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bars84crx at hotmail.com writes:

Although  I somewhat agree with JR, that some newbies are not always welcomed
with open  arms, actually pushed away, I will take the term "clannish" in
regards to  family, as a compliment.
Barry in SC "Proud to be a usually-welcomed newbie  and member of some great
Corvair families"

I, of course, have no problem making friends / enemies...  I know no
strangers......although I've met some strange humans....LOL!

In 1999 I attended my 1st ever Corvair Club  meeting.....knowing only  2
people ....

But, I showed up in a Corvair.....joined the chapter....and asked how could
I help the club!

Left with 12 new friends...

forward to June 1999  Lake Tahoe...

I traveled with another Corvair... and to start things off we flew by a
dozen Vairs "parading" down the mountain to the lake.....they all waved!

I registered and Joined CORSA at the desk....and since we were a day early  [
newbie mistake] I went around looking for a Motel with several Vairs in the
parking lot.....got a room...then went to the 1st Restaurant with several
Vairs  in it's parking lot... great meal...great conversation!  seems ALL these
folks were involved in putting on the Convention... My friends had their
"favorite place"  and went there...

Next day... during the carshows.. I made a point to TALK to as many as
possible....my car was in the PC show...but I only entered to support  CORSA  and
have a great place to store my "goodies"...take a break.

Next day, since I wasn't entered in anything else,  I roamed around  the
Horizon's parking lot...looking for folks in trouble.....and asked if I  could be
of help....pulled a powerpack and got to meet Ed Corson.....as well as
others...then found Kevin Wilson....with a noisy lifter...must've handed him  tools
for 3 days.....tearing down..re-assemble..test... repeat...he even  changed a
piston, IIRC.  Oh  and we pulled the guys powerpack  AGAIN the next day....and
this time he fixed it as I suggested... don't  ask....

Enemies???   Those at the Thurs. V V  meeting most likely  remember Hanks
Face when I introduced myself .....nuff said....

Saturday.....Since most people watching would  be entranced by their
favorite drivers and the intense competition that day in the fastest of the
fast.....we'd heard about it all week long...

I wore my " Will Work for SEX"  T- shirt instead of a Club  polo........lots
of good conversations in the  viewing area....and how I  met Louie
Lira.......who years later taught me how to drive a rear engined  car in an AX [ SCCA
event].

So,  I suggest... BE VISIBLE [ TALK to people ]  and the best
DEFENSE.......is a good OFFENSE...make the 1st move!

My friends....quiet couple....  said they didn't feel  comfortable...haven't
been to another convention since......maybe this  year!

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
_http://members.aol.com/patiomatt_ (http://members.aol.com/patiomatt)
somewhere  between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

Home.