<VV> Whitewall Cleaning

Eric Prosise eprosise at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 08:51:43 EDT 2008

Russ-

What brand of tires?

Each manufacturer has their own "special blend" of rubbers, from 100% natural rubber, to 100% synthetic rubber, and every mix inbetween - the yellowing is due to the ozone effect on the tires, caused by brake dust, atmosphere, exhaust gasses, etc.

Is your Corvair in the garage next to another car - that is driven often?  Do you leave the other car run in the garage to "warm up"?  Do any welding in the garage?  Are the tires 3 years old by purchase date, or manufacturing date (the 3 or 4 digit molded in date code on the tire)?

Typically, Westleys Bleach White works - but I have also used Softscrub  (kitchen cleaner), on white letter farm tires.  There are some blends of rubber that do not lend themselves to being "white" after a certain period of time.

Eric P.

Formerly a Quality Engineer for Firestone