<VV> 3.27 in a Greenbrier--4spd

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Apr 3 09:22:47 EDT 2008

Sorry folks,  I should have said that my '64 95 HP Greenbrier has a 4  speed.
 I liked the 3.27 better than the current 3.55 but I would not  recommend it
for a PG nor would I recommend it for heavy loads and  trailering.  Though my
Greenbrier works for a living hauling people,  picking up and delivering stuff
and it is used to tow a 14' sailboat on an  aluminum trailer to the beach, it
does not work hard.  With the old 3.27  differential I would be in 3rd gear
climbing the mountains in western Maryland,  WV and Pennsylvania.  I don't know
what the Rockies would be like.   The few times I have loaded the 'Brier to
the limit of GVW it has not had to  climb a mountain.  On a trip to Florida on
I95 with a 1/2 max load of  furniture for my mother's retirement home it would
cruise at 70-75 just fine and  I took to 85 a couple of times when sandwiched
by 18 wheelers (they wuz playing  wit me).  It now has 135,000 on the engine
if the odometer is to be  believed.  I make sure the 95 HP engine is kept in
tune with balanced carbs  and clean cooling fins etc. to avoid overheating it.

Thanks for the feed back on combinations as well.  Maybe I'll get used  to
the 3.55 over time--it is a positraction.:)

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Washington DC Suburbs
'64 Brier