<VV> electric corvair-some thoughts

larry at forman.net larry at forman.net
Fri Apr 4 19:43:41 EDT 2008

Hello Brian,
Here are some of my thoughts re: electric Corvair:

1. Converting cars to electric was popular starting in the 70's (roughly) and often using a surplus aircraft starter motor/generator with about 25 hp weighing about 80 lbs with size about 12 inches diameter and maybe 18 inches long.  Stick shifts and clutches were mated to the motor using an adapter plate to keep the motor rpms correct and minimize battery drain.  Note: the starter motors have more than enough torque, but also will drain traction batteries too fast if used without a transmission.  The VWs were popular to convert.
2. You need to be very careful in chosing a motor for the Corvair that has the correct rotation.  Most of the surplus aircraft starters rotate in the WRONG direction, so they are OK for VWs and most other cars, but not Corvairs (easily, that is).
3. While the unibody is great for battery placement, the Corvairs might be a little heavy compared to small cars like the VWs.
4. Earlies have stronger unibodies than Lates (let's NOT start the Earlies better than ... )
5. The added batteries will make the electric car weigh more than a gas car and will need beafed up suspension and/or suspension mods.

Larry