<VV> electric corvair-some thoughts

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 22:20:10 EDT 2008

                                   B"H

If the motor is a DC motor, can't it just be reversed
by switching the polarity?  And if it's AC, I would
think there is a way to reverse it using
electronics/controllers of some sort.

I also know that modern electric cars make extensive
use of electronics, to make use of the batteries more
efficient (?) or enhance the performance/flexibility
of the electric drivetrain.

Around the late Sixties or early Seventies I read an
article in my local newspaper about a guy who
converted a VW Karmann-Ghia exactly as Larry stated,
using the aircraft engine starter motor and a hunkful
of standard 12v car batteries.  I don't remember the
car's performance.

There are a number of companies that offer a kit or
conversion service, but these tend to be VERY
expensive, they make use of modern technology.  I
believe a car would cost between $5,000 - $10K to
convert, depending on who does the labor and the
components used.

The Corvair is perfect candidate from what I
understand, there's enough room for all the guts out
back, and the rear engine/rear drive combo is ideal.

Or, if you're not into Corvairs, you can plunk down
the $10K and buy a used Prius and get 40-50 miles per
gallon.  They really do get that, provided you use a
light foot and don't mind driving a four-door
geek-mobile.

When I owned my '01 Prius, I used to spend hours
online drooling over Sixties Chevy hardtops, so I
decided enuff is enuff, I gotta have one for real, so
out when the Prius and in came the Monza.

Some day I would seriously consider converting my
Corvair to electric, once the costs come down and
battery technology gets past the Stone Age.

REgards...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza 110 PG