<VV> electric corvair-some thoughts

davep at quik.com davep at quik.com
Sun Apr 6 10:06:44 EDT 2008

> If the motor is a DC motor, can't it just be reversed
> by switching the polarity?
   It varies with wot sort of DC motor...
   (I'm picking nits: yes.)

> And if it's AC, I would
> think there is a way to reverse it using
> electronics/controllers of some sort.
   Yep.  I've never comprehended the need for
   gearbox, esp for reverse.

> I also know that modern electric cars make extensive
> use of electronics, to make use of the batteries more
> efficient (?) or enhance the performance/flexibility
> of the electric drivetrain.
   All of the above.  Generally best is inverter/induction
   motor design, but that can be debated.

> Around the late Sixties or early Seventies I read an
> article in my local newspaper about a guy who
> converted a VW Karmann-Ghia exactly as Larry stated,
> using the aircraft engine starter motor and a hunkful
> of standard 12v car batteries.  I don't remember the
> car's performance.
    There's independent data on the Chevy VOLT, or,
    more sportier: the TESLA.  (100K$)

> The Corvair is perfect candidate from what I
> understand, there's enough room for all the guts out
> back, and the rear engine/rear drive combo is ideal.
   Wellllll.
   A bit of excess weight in back is good, but likely
   batteries forward for balance?

   best
    dwp