<VV> external oil cooler

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Apr 6 19:57:14 EDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 6:39 PM, HallGrenn at aol.com wrote:

> Bruce,  I installed an oil temp gauge on a friend's 110 PG with AC
> as  a test
> when he and I disagreed about straight weight (30 or 40) oil for
> summer
> versus his preference for a 10W30 or 20W50.  Don also autocrossed
> his car  for fun
> (he didn't win, but he sure beat a lot of other cars).  We saw oil
> temps in
> the 350 to 390 range after a hard run in the mountains or on a hot
> day  at an
> autocross.  I have always changed my oil at 3000 miles or three
> months
> (whether it needed it or not :) ) .  My advice to Arend in based on
> the fact that I
> have seen more Corvairs that overheated because they were not
> properly
> cooled due to missing sheet metal, slipping fan belts, blocked
> cooling  fins or
> damaged or missing perimeter seals.  I'm sure your car needs the
> extra cooler
> for your uses and that it is well maintained.  (And someday I  will
> add an oil
> temp gauge to my Greenbrier--I've had the gauge for years--just
> haven't
> installed it.)

Bob,

Is this correct - you saw OIL temperatures of 350-390 degrees?????

Not CYLINDER HEAD temps?

350-390 - NOT 250-290???

Anyone with oil temps like that had better change the oil immediately
and then figure out why their temps are so high.

My oil normally doesn't get above 215. This would be on the highway in
the Summer with the AC on. When I ran VIR I think it got just over 260
when I brought her back in to cool.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, CORSA South Carolina