<VV> external oil cooler

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Apr 6 23:46:29 EDT 2008

Bruce,

I have to go with Bob on not needing an external oil cooler for "normal"
driving.

The gearheads and racers would read the gage and understand what it
meant, but the average driver that enjoys his/her Corvair will not have
a clue what oil temp should be. Also, what is too cool?  I would think
215 °F would be really cold for oil. Water temps for water cooled cars
need to be over 190 °F for efficiency of combustion. Oil should be
warmer. 215 °F doesn't seem hot enough to drive out the condensed water
vapor.

I have never worked on a Corvair in non-race duty that had an external
oil cooler. Wait, there was one, but it was owned by an engineer that
liked to tinker. A 1966 Turbo convertable with relays and motors
everywhere. His engine didn't seem to last any longer than my normal
customers. i.e. it was still running after years of service.

These aren't VWs with the oil cooler heating one cylinder more than the
other three. For "normal" use just keep the stock cooler clean and the
oil will be fine. Most of us still change the oil every 3000 miles
anyway. For racing or continuous high output power applications, more
cooling would be good. A turbo can't keep itself cool at continuous full
ouput power. But it is hard to keep your foot in it for that long
without getting a ticket! gggg

Now if you can show an external oil cooler will keep valve seats from
falling out, we'll talk. gggg

Frank DuVal