<VV> EM, LM speedometer question - add'l info

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 8 23:39:40 EDT 2008

Hi Bill,

You know, I thought about that sort of, in passing.  I was looking at what I
was trying to do with speedo cables, needing a 7/8" connection on both the
in/out of correction box.  The out was no problem, just a standard
transmission to speedo cable oriented in the correct direction.  The drive
cable going from the wheel to the correction box needed the 7/8" connection
at the box too.  I had the fore-thought to reverse the cable in the housing,
putting the end that would normally drive the speedo on the 7/8" end but I
remember the main reason why I did it.  It wasn't due to the twist in the
cable, It was because of the ferrule that was crimped toward the end of the
cable that would normally be directly behind the speed.  In my case, I knew
I couldn't feed the ferrule through the spindle on the wheel so I had to put
it on the correction box end.  I think the thought of the cable twist did
pass through my mind but the main motivating force for my swapping ends was
due the ferrule and wanting to retain the cable in the housing.

So Andy, if you're reading this, make sure that you have your cable twist
going in the right direction.  Most of the time, the ferrule end should be
toward the speedo.

Sometimes you get lucky!!  Stupid is as stupid does :)  Oh, btw, I screwed
up in my previous mention that a late speedo needs 800 rev/mile.  Several
other people mentioned 825 rev/mile I believe is the actual value I was
looking for.