<VV> Toyota Prius (No Corvair)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 09:16:19 EDT 2008

Hybrids are kind-of a feel good thing that doesn't really make economic
sense.  The big problem is the need for a $5000 battery every three years.  The
first seven years are covered by warranty so the first owner has the first and
second replacement covered by warranty.  What do you think an eight year old car
is worth when it's going to need a $5000 repair within a short time.  Also,
the extra cost at the time of purchase takes a very long time to recover in
fuel savings.  In short, a VW TDI at 42 mpg and $5000 less purchase price and
significant resale value is a FAR better deal economically.  Now if your goal is
to feel good...

Also, I've done a piece on a competitive Hybrid and I was shocked to discover
two things: 1) If anything on the powertrain fails, including the air
conditioning, you are walking. (It's a series hybrid and the battery is cooled by the
AC 2) Driving at any speed over about 40 mph, that brand's engine runs at a
constant 5000 rpm - how long do you think that motor is going to last?
Craig Nicol