<VV> Seat belt interlock and oil buzzer, was: An American Revolution!

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 09:16:32 EDT 2008

My buddy Mike always liked that seat belt interlock idea. I always told him
that it was an interesting idea, just executed horribly. It should have
been a TRANSMISSION interlock instead. Lots of people (in the winter here
in the snowbelt) will go start their cars and let it warm up while scraping
the ice, frost, and snow off the windshield. THEN they will climb in and
drive off. All the IGNITION interlock did was make them have to strap their
butts to a cold vinyl seat to start the car. And THAT is why the idea met
with such a storm of protest, directed at Congress, that the regulation was
hastily repealed by act of Congress.

And you would of thought that Mike, being a native of (and still living in)
the snowbelt would have known better. But what can you expect from someone
who also likes to attach a buzzer to the oil light, which screams at you
every time you go to start the car?  Another rotten idea, Mikey. You only
want a buzzer to tell you when something's WRONG. You're doing nothing
wrong by starting the car, and besides, a buzzer going off only blocks you
from hearing the engine startup noises (which are good to listen to in case
there's something REALLY wrong with the car.)

Mikey's eccentric to say the least. LOL But I've been friends with him
since '71, so what can I say? (G)

-Mark

problem that the ignition interupt for front seatbelt would cause. While
their examples were mostly occupant safety related, they also pointed out
the inconvience this "safety feature" would cause.