<VV> Corvair and their lack of appeal

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 9 21:15:11 EDT 2008

I was writing to a friend in New Zealand, telling him about my experiences
with my Corvair, and how they haven't seemed to catch on or appeal to the
mainstream old car people over here as the Mustang and other pony or compact
cars have.  Then while I was telling him how parts for the Corvair aren't
readily available in the local auto stores and that it's hard to find anyone
who can or will work on them, it dawned on me that maybe that's why they
haven't caught on with the mainstream car people.

I work with several people who have bought old cars who have never turned a
wrench in their life and they all bought mainstream cars, one a 67 Mustang
V8 and the other a 57 Chevy BelAire V8.  Both cars are very nice, with the
Mustang costing them in the ballpark of a nice Corvair and the 57 about
twice that.  The one thing about both these cars, is that they can and have
taken their cars to local mechanics to have them worked on.  They and the
mechanics can also go to the local auto store and get the parts they need
that same day.  Then I started looking at those car owners at the local
cruise-in and I would venture to say that probably more than 50% of those
there don't do any kind of mechanical work to their cars.  About as far as
the work they do is cleaning them for the shows and I know a few of them
even have somebody detail their cars for them.

So here we are with the Corvair, that for most engine parts you have to send
for and then wait and then once you get them, unless you are one of the
fortunate few who have a Corvair mechanic near you or a club that is into
working on each others cars, you're going to have to do it yourself.  Most
of you enjoy doing this, but there are many more car people out there that
don't know how nor want to work on their cars and once they find out about
this with Corvairs, they are going to look for something else.

The only way to over come this problem is for clubs to become more active
with tech sessions and making more appearances at car events other than just
Corvair events, which mostly just draw other Corvair people.  By appearing
at highly visible cruise-in and car shows with several members from a club,
those that may be attracted to a Corvair will be able to have their
questions answered and see that there are people in the local area who can
help them with problems they may have once they decide to go ahead and get a
Corvair for themselves.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Kent Island, MD