<VV> Pinging turbo

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Thu Apr 10 00:16:46 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 8:32 PM
Subject: <VV> Pinging turbo

> Hi Guys,
>

> Well, I just passed 500 miles on my new engine and after changing the oil
&
> filter, I started to get a little more aggressive in my driving. When
> getting onto the freeway, I GENTLY ran it up to 3500 to 4000 RPM. As soon
as
> the boost gauge hit zero and above the engine started to ping.
***********
One cheap way to change some parameters for testing purposes is to buy at
any LAP a can of 104 Octane Booster ... that exact brand, it works, some
others do not.  pour in one can per tank to start with, then see if that
allows you to used your " stock" setups.
If pinging stops with the spec settings, try half a can next time ....  some
of the improvement I think is blowing some hot carbon deposits out of the
chambers ....  oh, I don[t think you actually get 104 octane, I believe
someone told me maybe 94 or 96 tho ... ...   anyway, a can of that stuff
allowed me to run factory specs on my 66-180.
         I then played with "improving " the specs, but be careful here ...
as bad as the factory crutch settings are, I only made things worse with
fiddling with the timing etc.
One interesting thing . its hard to tune a turbo on the streets ... as soon
as the turbo kicks in, you are either shifting or watching for cops ( & the
heat gauge... do not forget the heat gauge.)
*********
If you only drive the vair to show off occasionally, you might stick to the
canned octane booster ... If you drive it a lot, start thinking about water
injection ... it really works.

hope this helps some; ken campbell, tipping the bottles in southern Iwuh.