<VV> Corvair and their lack of appeal

Gary Swiatowy garyswiatowy at summitlubricants.com
Fri Apr 11 08:03:46 EDT 2008

Back in 1973, I wanted a Muscle Car.
Picked up a 66 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible with a 383 and 4-speed.
Certainly not a recognized Muscle Car, but plenty enough to get in trouble
with. 17 years old, picked up a car needing a motor and put it together and
had fun. I started driving Corvairs as "winter cars" here in NY. By 1978 I
finally picked up a "keeper" Corvair which I still have along with that 66
Dodge.
I do know a lot of my friends from "back in the day". Very few of them are
still into it like they were then. And I do know of some that still drive
Muscle cars and still do not "get" my infatuation with the Corvairs.

But, the Corvair is an acquired taste. I came from a Ford family (T-birds)
and then fell in love with MOPARS as everyone had a Chevelle or Camaro. Even
using a Corvair as a winter car, I loved them. And it was and is an
affordable hobby car.

I run into people all the time looking for Muscle cars, hoping to find one
cheap so they can flip it and cash in. Due to my affiliation with the MOPAR
club I get approached all the time by people looking for a Cuda or a
Roadrunner, etc. I ALWAYS tell them I will add their name and number to my
list for $25, and then charge a 1% commission for a "finders fee" if they
buy what I find. No-one has forked over yet..........

I am also approached though by people looking to sell Corvairs.........

Maybe its still the Nader stigma.

Gary Swiatowy