<VV> Corvair and their lack of appeal-Not necessarily

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sat Apr 12 04:29:45 EDT 2008

I just got home from the Garden Grove (California) Main Street Car Show. I
was late so I had to park way down at the end. Mine was the only Corvair
there. She didn't win a trophy (I didn't expect her to) however she did get
a good reception. I had many lookers and good comments. You know, "I had one
of those" or "My neighbor had one" or "I always thought they were cool" and
"WOW I didn't know the came with a turbo".

At one point, a group of guys came over from some 50's Chevys and muscle
cars across the way to see her. I was surprised that they all thought she
was so "cool". They all asked good questions and were genuinely interested.
One guy said that he was glad to see a Corvair there and most of them
agreed. Then he asked if I was going to come next week. I said "Of course!"
He encouraged me to arrive earlier so I could park more toward "all the
action". I was also invited to several other shows.

With this good reception, I challenge all Southern California Corvairs to
meet me next Friday, before 4:00 PM (gate opens at 4:00) at the Garden Grove
Main Street Car Show. I'll even pay the $3.00 entrance fee for the first two
Corvairs that I see there. You don't have to be "Show Quality" (I'm not).
There were all levels of quality there. Just get out next Friday and join me
in all the fun.

Dave Thompson

63 convertible Spyder

Westminster, CA