<VV> Detroit DVD review.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 16:27:41 EDT 2008

I received the Detroit Convention DVD "It's Cool to be AIRCOOLED, The
Ultimate Corvair Video" yesterday.  I watched immediately and thought  I would post
a review for you. It must be said that we should not have had to  wait this
long for the DVD. But it turned out to be well worth the cost.  (maybe worth the
wait.)  There are a group of interviews with owners,  covering the wide
breadth of the Corvair production. Earlies, Lates and  especially FCs are covered.
There is a short mention of the "Person who  should not be named" but included
is a full discussion of the NHTSA refutation  of the Corvair accusations.
Again, it is fairly covered. Scenes were shot at all  of the convention venues,
The Concours at the Engineering Center, the Autocross  and the Waterford Hills
Road racing course. Several interviews were from  the Hotel area, including
the swap meet, the Vendor area and the lobby display  (where the 1960 and 1969
models were shown). Both Cal Clark and Lon Wall were  interviewed. There were
several scenes showing the autocrossers and if you  haven't seen some of those
cars in action, you will be amazed. There were  stories of ressurected
Corvairs, Corvairs owned for 30+ years, even a short tour  of the Heritage Museum in
Ypsilanti, including the Super Monza, and it's  history. As far as the quality
of the production, it played well on my  equipment, and the sound was well
controlled, and the video nice and sharp.  The story was presented as a person
who was unfamiliar with the Corvair  attending the Convention to learn about
the car and the gradual experience of  learning by contact. The whole production
put the Corvair in a good light (with  the possible exception of showing a
Corvair having been over-centered off  the road in a low-speed U-turn mistake,
looking for all the world like a  dangerous accident had happened - without
explanation or commentary!) It  would be a great Video to show at your club
meetings, or to your friends who  think you are deranged for hanging out with us
Corvair nuts. It will either  confirm it or explain it! I paid for my DVD at the
convention, and I don't  remember the exact price (around $20, I think) but I
don't know the price  through the company at this time. I have included
contact information below, but  going to their website proved fruitless. I have
contacted them via e-mail and  await a reply.

- Seth Emerson

More Data:

It's Cool to be AIRCOOLED, The Ultimate Corvair Video  -  60  minutes

Retail Sound LLC
200 Carol Mary Lane
Davison, Michigan  48423
888-468-6425