<VV> Brake shoe rebuild

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Apr 13 18:05:15 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

I'm replacing my drum brakes on my 63 spyder. I haven't done drum brakes in
about thirty years, and that was on a Mustang. I have had the right front
brakes grab when applying hard braking.

Upon disassembly, I found that the right front, front shoe had a crack all
the way down the center of the shoe lining with large chips missing. One of
the rear axle shoes (I can't remember which) have some chips out of the
lining. All other shoes look new and are in good condition.  All 8 shoes
have a red painted "Bob's Brakes" on them. I see gobs of "glue" squishing
from under the linings from the bonding process (Poor quality
remanufacture?).  The drums all look newly turned and are in great shape,
well within the specified thickness.

I will be replacing all four shoe sets, including new spring hardware kits
using a major name brand manufacturer. The rest of the system was re-built
by the previous owner a year or so ago. All the wheel cylinders look new
with good rubber and no leakage. The updated dual master cylinder was
installed with good craftsmanship and the fluid looks new. All the steel
body lines and rubber body to wheel lines look new.

When I took apart the front brakes, one shoe hold down spring had a "T"
shaped cup that also holds the adjuster in place. That looks correct. The
other hold down spring had a brass washer under the spring that had a hole
that looks way too large. The other side front has a steel washer of a
different size. I remember that my Mustang had a "T" cup and a flat cup
under each shoe hold down spring. All the parts in the spring kit that I got
look correct. However, there is no cup washer or any other washer to go
under the hold down spring.   I am unable to find any pictures of the parts
breakdown.

Do I just put the "T" cup on the shoe with the adjuster and nothing under
the other hold down spring?

What is the possible cause of the shoe lining cracks and chipping? Poor
quality shoe lining?

What lubricant should I use between the shoe and backing plate? I plan to
sparingly use white lithium grease.

Sometimes when I drive away after having the E-brake on, the rear brakes
seem to drag for a half a mile or so. If I stomp on the brakes they retract
and do not drag. Will the new spring kits fix this or is there a return
E-brake spring that I haven't found yet that needs to be replaced? I will
follow the "green book" to properly adjust the E-brake when I do the job.

One shoe kit is back-ordered until Tuesday so I won't start the repair until
Wednesday.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Dave Thompson

63 convertible spyder