<VV> Smog engine head swap

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 14 10:37:21 EDT 2008

Check the pistons. If they are domed (not flat) you will need to change
them to flat to use standard heads. I think the domed pistons hit regular
heads. If not, the compression ratio will be very high. Super super premium
may be necessary.

Frank DuVal

Quote:

A fellow club member wants to replace his 1969 smog motor heads with LM 110
heads. The engine is original but has had all the smog stuff removed—no
pump or lines and the exhaust manifolds have been replaced with non-smog
ones.  I have no experience with smog motors and was wondering about this
swap.  I believe the 110 HP heads have smaller combustion chamber volume as
compared to the open smog heads.  Should this smaller CC size result in
higher CR?  Comments and suggestions welcomed.  TIA.