<VV> Smog engine head swap

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 14 15:47:16 EDT 2008

What is wrong with the smog heads?  I had two different 69 converts with the smoggers in them and they ran like the wind - just took a little tinkering with the distributor advance.  They were both 4 speeds.  My 64 Brier (110/PG) has a set of 69 heads on it and prior to dropping a seat, it ran fabulously.  Again, took some tinkering with the advance and finding the sweet spot to set the initial timing at, but I was quite happy with the performance.  Yes, they CAN be knock-prone, but so can the standard 110 heads.  As far as I know, there isnt enough room in the standard heads for the "domed" pistons to clear.  The "Dome" is only about an 1/8 inch tall, but thats a lot considering the space available in the regular 110 head.

  Everett Wilson
  North Richland Hills TX

Brian <bmoneill at juno.com> wrote:
  A fellow club member wants to replace his 1969 smog motor heads with LM 110 heads. The engine is original but has had all the smog stuff removed—no pump or lines and the exhaust manifolds have been replaced with non-smog ones. I have no experience with smog motors and was wondering about this swap. I believe the 110 HP heads have smaller combustion chamber volume as compared to the open smog heads. Should this smaller CC size result in higher CR? Comments and suggestions welcomed. TIA.