<VV> torque converter?

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 18:04:40 EDT 2008

When I grab onto the flywheel/torque converter and I wiggle it back and forth it rattles, it feels shifty and loose. I'm suspecting loose bolts on the flywheel. Am I correct in saying it that way?
It sounds like a bolt in-between to plates of steel and the bolt is in the hole but not tight. This would explain the noise pretty well, like if one were to but some metal in a tin can and shake it. Thats the kind of sound I have.

"D. Barry Ellison" <bars84crx at hotmail.com> wrote:    .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }   Take the plugs out.  Can you feel the clunk turning it by hand w/a wrench on the balancer?  If so, don't put power to the starter anymore til you figure it out.

Check the compression on #5 and #6?

Bolts loose on the flexplate/broken flexplate?  Can you move the torque converter while the flexplate stays still?

I'd put some compressed air down the spark plug hole of each when it's at TDC and see if you get some air flow out the carb.   (#1) ... or the exhaust (#2) ... or the oil filler tube.  (#3)

Hope it's a loose flexplate for your sake.

BarryE in SC