<VV> Shifter/clutch problem

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 20:52:42 EDT 2008

Gary said:
    I am having problems with the reverse on my 65 Greenbrier 4 speed.  When
I start it up it will shift into reverse smooth as silk, but after I run it
a couple of miles or more and everything is warmed up, it will grind going
into reverse.  Sometimes it will not go in at all.  I have to shut the motor
off and put it in reverse then restart the engine to back up.  I have a
brand new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and I have replaced all
the worn parts on the shift shaft. Any suggestions?

Craig replies:
Your clutch is dragging. All the gears except reverse have synchronizers
(little brass clutches) that trap (stop) the mating gear and countershaft so
there's no grinding.  In your case, the input shaft & counter shaft are
being turned by the engine so grinding occurs.  There are two or three
common reasons for this.

1) Not enuf clutch release due to improper cable adjustment or lack of
adequate stroke. If you temporarily tighten the freeplay to zero or slight
preload, you can check this one out. Many GB owners have to modify the cable
and lever system in order to get enough cable stroke.  Also, as the cable
wears (internal sleeve) the cable absorbs some of the stroke potential. GB
clutch cables are available, but expensive. On rare occasions, the cable's
outer housing becomes compressible, so when the pedal is down, instead of
all the motion going to pulling the cable, some goes to compressing the
housing. Have someone watch the cable, especially at the "S" in front of the
left axle, while you push the pedal.

2) "Fuzzy" clutch disc.  Some new discs have to be broken-in in order to
polish the disc surface.  Use fourth gear (least used synchronizer) to trap
(stop) the idler shaft and counter shaft, then quickly shift into reverse.
Continue this until the disc is polished and doesn’t drag.

3) Bent parts.  If the disc or pressure plate is warped, the clutch will
drag. Uneven tightening of the pressure plate to the flywheel will warp the
diaphragm spring, for example.

I'd vote for #1, the cable & adjustment suggestion.
HTH,
Craig Nicol

Checked by AVG.
9:12 AM