<VV> backtracking to electric pump

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 13:27:20 EDT 2008

I love reading your responses, pretty cool. I have been in the garage all morning. Definitely a fuel delivery problem. no gas pumping the carb throats.
I appreciate all that guys do for me. As far as the newbie thing is concerned, I'm a sharp pencil, but am just being efficient with my time by tapping all of you for advice (especially, the thing yesterday about pulling the forward heat shield to gain access to the flexplate). Big, HUGE time savers.
As far as the "advanced" nature of pumping or not to pump, and chokes being set at all, for now, I understand all that, but have largely ignored it only because I know there is an art to making those carbs work properly. Which I know will have to been done eventually, but am leaning on the robust nature of the Corvair mechanical systems. Meaning, I make assumptions things work or are all right until proven otherwise.
So right now, I am back tracking from the carb fuel inlet to the fuel tank. I know for certain the pump is active, but fuel delivery is not making it to the engine compartment. I found the pump (as Craig Nichol indicated), it is indeed external, and I am just about to blow out the line that runs through the tunnel. Right now I am suspecting an icky fuel tank. I should have waited before dumping 6 gallons of gas into it (lol) because I thought, hey, maybe its just out of gas. Ha! (no working gas gauge. Only wish it was that simple now.
She has been on the verge of firing, I am sooo close, I'll have her limping by 5pm CST. Gas tank cleaning will have to be my last resort. Don't look forward to doing that... if required.
So where's that fuel filter, I see these little bronze cones in the carb inlet, is that enough?
Chris Mann
69 monza convertible 65-66 110hp PG (shes being serviced now)
(and next to her brother) a 69 monza cpe 140/4 (awaing his turn)
garage got really small after last weekend when she showed up....