<VV> Cleaning convertible back windows

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Sat Apr 19 06:12:53 EDT 2008

Dave,

With a succession of British sports cars I've tackled the dreaded rear
window issue. I have tried several different products meant to clean the
grime off the rear windows and remove light scratches. All do the former
to about the same degree and more effectively than car soap and water.
None can "restore" a tarnished or yellowed window back to it original
condition. I've not found one product superior to another; they all seem
to be about the same.

A few of my cars have required new tops; only then have I realized the
suppleness and transparency of a new rear window. A friend owns and
operates Leyland Foreign Auto Repair in Kennebunkport, ME. He has
installed many new tops on sports cars. He told me that the eventual
brittleness and translucency of the rear windows is due to the effects
of sunlight; you can't keep them supple with fluids like you do with
leather seats.

That was proven to me when I bought my current TR-7. The top looked and
felt very original to the car but it still fit perfectly. The rear
window looked surprisingly good but just needed a good cleaning. So
after washing it, I started to use a "convertible rear window cleaner"
product. Immediately I noticed a brightness to the cleaned-up portion of
the window. Then, as I rubbed it in, the stitching around the window
gave way and half the window now flapped in the breeze, and inevitably,
the rain that followed the next day. Thinking I could get just a new
rear window stitched on, a boat shop gave me a quote but reminded me the
job would be only as good as the condition of the top fabric would
allow. My sports car friend told me that the labor to get the old top
off and repair it was the same, if not more, than installing a new top.
I opted for the new top. Years later, the rear window and top remain in
pretty good shape.

In his experience the rear window and top will deteriorate at about the
same rate as the top itself. That said, the cleaning products will help
remove the gritty dirt that can eventually cause scratches in the rear
window - and don't forget the inside, too. The towel trick is an old one
but I can't see how it will accomplish much.

Enjoy the convertible!

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863