<VV> Fuel delivery question

Chris vairchris at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 16:16:24 EDT 2008

Sorry if this is a little long, but I want to be sure you give me the right
advice.

My vehicle is a 61 Rampie with a 62 80 HP engine and 63 carbs (Special
thanks to Grant Young for helping me figure all that out).  On the left hand
side, the choke rod is broken off under the shroud, so the choke on that
side was free to do what it wants.  On the right, the automatic choke is
hooked up right.

Three different times in 1000 miles it has suddenly behaved as though it
were out of gas, even though the gas tank is full.  A little sputtering and
surging followed by a stall and coasting to the side of the road.  If I
crank it right away it won't start.  If I let it sit 10 minutes and then
crank it, it starts up and goes on as if nothing happens.  My first thought
is that the loose choke on the left had inadvertently closed and choked the
engine to a stall.  However, this last time, with my friend available to
crank the engine for me and me holding the choke open, I was still unable to
get the engine to start.

I had him pump the gas a couple of times, and didn't see anything squirt
into the throat as I should have.  So, I'm concluding that I have a fuel
delivery problem.  I pulled the stones out, and they are clean and new
looking, so I focused on the fuel pump.  I ordered a new fuel pump from a
vendor.  When I went to put it on, I stripped the right fuel line.  Knowing
that I would have to replace it, I took it off the carb too.  When I dumped
the gas out of it onto a paper towel, there was black debris in it.  It
seemed rubbery, so I just figured it was bits of the diaphragm from the fuel
pump.  I took off the left fuel line too, and didn't find any debris in
there.  There was a little more debris at the fuel outlet when I
disconnected the pipe from there too.

So, I put the new fuel pump in.  Then, being the type who does this, I took
the old fuel pump apart.  The diaphragm was in perfect shape.  No holes or
missing pieces.  So now I'm wondering where this debris is coming from and
why it intermittently blocks fuel delivery to the carbs.  I'm guessing you
are all going to tell me to pull the gas tank, and I kind of don't want to
because it is totally full.

So, does this story have any specific meaning for anybody?  I'd like to get
the fuel delivery bugs worked out, as it stalled out on a busy highway last
time, and posed real danger for me and others.

Also, any good tips of getting the upper choke rod out of the lower one when
it is broken off below the shroud?  I'm beginning to accept that fixing that
will be a big job, but I'll accept any tips you all can throw my way.

Thanks to all.

Chris