<VV> Fuel delivery question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Apr 19 18:36:57 EDT 2008

Comments below.

Chris wrote:

>Three different times in 1000 miles it has suddenly behaved as though it
>were out of gas, even though the gas tank is full.  A little sputtering and
>surging followed by a stall and coasting to the side of the road.  If I
>crank it right away it won't start.  If I let it sit 10 minutes and then
>crank it, it starts up and goes on as if nothing happens.  My first thought
>is that the loose choke on the left had inadvertently closed and choked the
>engine to a stall.  However, this last time, with my friend available to
>crank the engine for me and me holding the choke open, I was still unable to
>get the engine to start.

If this is vapor lock, typically the stall would be proceeded by a stop
(like running in to a convienience store) of 10 to 15 minutes, with very
little run time after you got back in the truck. Typically just down the
block. If the stall is on the highway after driving for a while, suspect
debris cloging the sock in the tank. Once the vacuum holding the debris
to the sock dissapates, the debris falls off and the truck restarts
fine. This condition is exaggerated by concrete roads and other slightly
rough surfaces.

> I'm guessing you
>are all going to tell me to pull the gas tank, and I kind of don't want to
>because it is totally full.

Time for a spring drive!

>Also, any good tips of getting the upper choke rod out of the lower one when
>it is broken off below the shroud?
>

>Very small left hand drill bit. If this fails, remove the choke coil from the bottom of the head. Just one rivet hold it in, at least after you have the shrouds off!

Frank DuVal