<VV> my virtual garage and fuel tan removal

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 00:39:58 EDT 2008

well, its 11:30 pm CST and well I took a dinner break and then cleaned the garage because that tank wasn't coming out very easy! But I got back to it and dang if I am smart. I jacked up the front end as much as possible, which helped, and another little trick I did was I too my floor jacks and put a little pressure under both front tires in the air and what that did was pivoted the stabilizer enough to kick it out the way of the flange seam on the tank itself. And dang if if didn't just pop right out of there!
So it I took the filler tube off, it appears someone replaced the rubber where the snout meets the tank, looks to new compared to everything else. At any rate I got the sending unit out too, and boy oh boy does it ever look like diarrhea inside the tank. Milky yellow and rusty to all heck. No wonder. The screen sock doesn't all that bad.
But since the gas gauge didn't work anyway, I might as well order up a complete work up, all new coming to this tank.
Ah, the fun part of putting it all back together. Looks like I'm going to have to put this to bed for a couple of days. Thats OK it supposed to rain anyway, and since all the fuzzies are rotten or gone, it wouldn't be much fun driving this convertible anyway.
Getting spanked with buying cheap Corvairs, but this 69 vert is worth it I hope.
Adios guys, its been fun, I'll touch base later this week with an update.
>From this grease monkey to all the other grease monkeys, thanks for all the little tidbits and all your comments were every so helpful and saved me a whole heck of a lot of time!
Virtual Vairs onward!

George Jones <65crownv8 at gmail.com> wrote: IF you meet any significant resistance when removing the tank, you may want to pull the front carpet back and check for patch panels in the floor. It's not uncommon to find sheet metal screws or pop rivits, meant to hold a patch in the floor, also holding the gas tank in. If this is the case, you've just opened a new can of worms.

Good luck!