<VV> LM tire diameter

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Mon Apr 21 12:20:29 EDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Mark Corbin wrote:

> If you look on the LM speedo info tag (on the back of the cluster)
> you'll
> see that the speedo is rated at 825 revolutions per mile. That
> figures out
> to be 24.44 inches of rolling diameter. DISREGARD TIRE SIZE (and what
> others might say), BUT the 24.44 rolling diameter is what you should
> look
> for.
>
> -Mark

Mark,

The question was, "What is the generally accepted correct tire
diameter for a stock 7.00 13 that came with a LM?"

I answered Mike's question above. The answer is 25.3"

The question you answered was, "What diameter tire should I use if I
want to have an accurate speedometer and odometer?"

The answer is, one that provides 825 revs/mile.

These are two different questions, two different answers, and probably
two different tires. The obvious reason for this is that on an
original Corvair, the tire diameter was incorrect to obtain correct
speedometer and odometer readings. Everyone knows, they weren't
accurate. The reason they weren't accurate is because the tires
weren't of the correct diameter to make them accurate.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC