<VV> Installing radio in Corvair

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 18:08:44 EDT 2008

Clark asked:
OK you electronic wizards, I have a question.  I bought a new radio to
put in my 1965 Monza sedan.  It is a Panasonic digital 4 speaker stereo
but I am only using two speakers (both in the front).  Do I just leave
two speaker wire sets unattached or do I combine the left front and the
right front into one speaker and the left rear and right rear into the
other speaker?

Craig replies:
Definitely DO NOT connect the rears to the fronts.  Clip the stripped ends
of the rear wires, put a little tape on the ends and secure them to the
balance of the harness. Each amp in that Panasonic unit probably puts out 12
to 20 watts (depending on how much distortion you'll tolerate) which is a
bunch more than the single 4W or so that the Corvair radio did.  Your
limiting factor will be the speaker cone area, not the amplifier power.
Craig (usta be a factory radio "engineer")

Checked by AVG.
8:15 AM