<VV> Original Tires

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Tue Apr 22 18:33:15 EDT 2008

John Kepler wrote:
> My '63 Triumph Spitfire did not have radials standard [I bought mine in
> '67 but never did get radials for it] or as optional equipment. The
> first Spitfires had a swing axle suspension, too.
>
> The last one's too......straight out of the totally unlamented Standard
> "Herald"...which inevitably led to the classic British-car groaner "Hark,
> the Herald axles swing!"
>
> John

I love it! By the Mark IV model in '71 or '72, the Spitfire upgraded to
a better IRS. It used double halfshafts and traverse single rear spring
to end the "upsy-daisy" cornering of the earlier cars. I had a '78 that
handled brilliantly [but the engine was gutted by emission requirements]
but I loved the "exciting" oversteer at the limit of my '63.

Jeff