<VV> Relay for heater blower motor

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 23:57:40 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/23/2008 4:28:55 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dfamily at fairpoint.net writes:

The relay and motor seems to work all right but I noticed that the  blower
motor will shut off on the low and intermediate speeds when the  ignition switch
is turned off; however, if I turn off the ignition switch when  on high speed
the motor keeps running until the heater control switch is  turned off.
Is this the way it is supposed to work with a  relay, or do I have a wiring
problem?  I prefer that it shuts off when  the ignition is switched off.

Dennis Dorogi

Hi Dennis,
Sounds like a wiring problem. First let's check the hookup. The relay has
three terminals, a normally closed (NC) which is connected to the wire  that
previously went to the motor, a normally open (NO) which goes to a +12 v  source
via a fuse, and a common terminal that goes to the motor. OK so  far?

Then the relay coil wiring. One terminal is grounded and the other goes to
the Hi terminal on the heater swirch via a new wire. is that OK?

Ok, now with the ign switch off and the heater in the high position, see if
you have 12v at the Hi terminal either by measuring it or by removing it from
the relay winding. You should not. Then disconnect the wire that is connected
to  the NC terminal See if that is what is running the motor.

Let me know which of these two wires is supplying the power to operate the
motor. And we'll go from there.
Regards,
Bob Helt

listings at AOL Autos.