<VV> Fuel Seepage at Carb Inlet Fittings

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Apr 24 23:53:47 EDT 2008

If it is vibration, can you guarantee the remaining section of steel
line will not also resonate and loosen?

Over the years I have worked on many Corvair motors. Most did not leak
at the carb nut once I tightened them. I did as you you, tighten the big
nut with a 1" open end wrench to the carb and then while holding that
wrench so the big nut  can not move, tighten the fuel line nut with a
flare nut wrench. But once in a while one would come back wet. Then I
would try new gaskets, etc. In severe cases, I would bend (slightly) the
steel line to make sure there was no residual torque on the nuts to make
them loosen.

I always removed any rubber flexable lines I found inside the engine
compartment. It just seemed to be more places to leak from. Because it
was just hose and hose clamps, not specially made flex lines. Check
places that sell racing equipment, such as Summit.

Frank DuVal