<VV> Leaky Nuts

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 16:04:02 EDT 2008

I have taken apart over 5000 Corvair carburetors. On most I have to use a long 1" wrench and/or hammer to break the fuel nut loose, so it does not appear to be all that common that they would loosen on their own. It is possible to strip the threads when tightening, but you almost have to have gorilla forearms. I find maybe one in 500 that are stripped. I use a slightly compressible rubber coated aluminum gasket when installing them. I have also found that many leaks which seem related to the loose nut or gasket are really a cracked fuel line on the flared portion. I have never had much luck with O-rings and detest having to dig minute pieces of Teflon tape out of carb passage. All engines vibrate, so I think it must be something else.
The Carbmeister