<VV> Fuel seepage from turbo carb inlet after shutdown

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 14:11:19 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

I'm still getting the bugs out of my new 64 turbo engine. Sometimes, when I
shut down, I get about a tablespoon of fuel seepage out of the carter YH
carb inlet. It seeps out of the carb to air cleaner connection and drips
onto the shroud. I removed the air cleaner "can", started it up, revved a
few times and shut down. After a few seconds, about a tablespoon of fuel
slowly seeped out of the carb inlet. I found a Wolf Enterprises receipt for
a newly rebuilt carb in my pile of paperwork from the previous owner. I
called Wolf and the guy suggested several things.  He suggested that I
verify the fuel filter return line was not clogged. It is not. When I blew
air back from the filter connection I heard gurgling from the fuel filler
neck. He said if that's not the problem that the new fuel pump most likely
has too much output and that I should install a fuel regulator in the line
between the filter and carb. Set it for about 2-3 lbs.

I remember seeing a pipe "T" in some of the catalogs. According to the
manuals, it connects to what looks like the vent line at the top of the
tank. If that's where my vent line attaches, why do I get a gurgling sound?
I would think I would get only an air pressure sound because the air is sent
in above the level of the fuel in the tank (I tested with a half tank of
fuel).  If the line is improperly attached, perhaps to the tank output,
below the top of the fuel in the tank, that would cause a gurgling sound and
the fuel "head pressure" in the tank could push the fuel in the return line
back to the carb in reverse, over filling the float bowl and seeping out the
inlet. Do my thoughts seem logical? I won't be able to jack the car up and
investigate that theory until Saturday.

Before I purchase a regulator and cut my beautiful chrome fuel line, I
wanted to get some other opinions. Has anyone had the same symptoms and what
did you do to rectify them?

I want to keep the rear hood yellow. I don't want it to be turned black all
of a sudden! (Grin)

Thanks in advance,

Dave Thompson

63 spyder with a 64 drive train