<VV> Fuel Seepage at Carb Inlet Fittings

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 12:25:50 EDT 2008

>Mike, I agree with Frank's comment.

Bob & Frank are pretty right on on this, but I would like to add that
after 36 years of tightening this joint, if it the same carbs over those
36 years, that maybe the threads in the carb are worn out?  When steel
vs. pot metal, generally, steel wins.

I always sorta likened the system to 'double nutting' -- if the inlet
nut was adequately tight, tightening the flare nut with a wrench still
on the fitting just sorta locks the fitting into the carb, and rather
than loosening it, it just holds it in place -- yes, it is nice to have
three hands, one to keep the fitting 'adequately (not over) tight', one
to tighten the flare wrench, and one more to keep the line from torquing
as you tighten the flare nut.  So, back to the original question, how
are your threads in the carb?  That is often what I have found to be the
'weakest link'.

Stay Dry!

Bill Strickland