<VV> Loudly Ticking Engine--Possible Causes

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 01:06:15 EDT 2008

Loud is subjective.

Ticking is obvious.

Most likely cause - lifter needs to be pumped up - drive the car.

2nd? most likely - probably a little louder than a lifter - if first choice
does not "fix" it - worn valve guide.  Will eventually need repair, but can
probably wait for some time when the head has to come off for other reasons.

3rd? most likely - also probably the loudest - rocker arm is about to fail.
Easy fix.  Listen for which side and pull the cover - may or may not need a
new gasket depending on type and how careful you are.  If running on 5
cylinders, it has already broken.

4th?  Corrections?  Additions?  I'll listen to what others have to say on
this.

In the case at hand, the car had not been started in a week.  First thought
on that scenario is - lifter.

Later, JR
CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110