<VV> fuel tank cleansing

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 30 21:06:54 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,

The single coat should be fine as long as you followed the turning
instructions, the key there is to get it to cover the inside of the tank
completely and not puddle where it would be slow drying.  You poured the
entire quart in at once didn't you?  That gives enough to really slosh
around and coat everything.  Once the can is open, it will go bad anyways.
If you did pour the entire quart in and you are talking about what drained
out, then it will reallly harden fast as it has been aerated.

I would not add a second coat because it won't adhere well.  If it's like
their POR15 rust paint, once it hardens, you need to scuff it to apply more.
It would be difficult to "scuff" inside the tank :).  I did all the
religious turning exercises when we did ours and then propped up the tank
with the filler neck at the very bottom.  I left it to drain and harden that
way for a week.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Chris said:
 >Again I wonder if I should double coat it, since I still have half a quart
leftover? Maybe I'll save it for the other car...
 > Anywho, onward, to the reinstallation of, lets hope I can get her on the
road soon.