<VV> 140 heads MY opinion

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Aug 2 00:36:47 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/1/2008 6:49:05 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
iscdirector at yahoo.com writes:

I  thought for a while that it might be because we can't get "real" Corvair
lifters anymore but I changed my mind when I realized that GM changed in  62
to using the same lifter they were using in V8's and straight 6's (see1962  P&A
catalog) and did away with special valve springs for  Corvairs.

Dan,
I believe that you are mistaken about these things.

First, although, as you say, the P&As do show different lifters as
replacements, the factory started using the 3799644 lifter in 1962 and continued  doing
so thru the end of production without change. You have to remember that  the
P&As didn't reflect what was used in production.

Also starting with the 1960 95 hp engine, there were two diferent valve
springs used until 1964 when only the stronger spring was used in all  engines.
the Corvair never had, or did away with, special valve  springs.

Regards,
Bob Helt

Read reviews on AOL Autos.