<VV> valve adjustment-- MY opinion

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Aug 2 07:14:26 EDT 2008

This was common thinking when dealing with the later Chevy 283s ... in
some cases the engine oil pressure would be too high [10 PSI per 1000
RPM is enough] and it could 'pump up'  the lifters thus keeping the
valves
off the seats.  At high engine RPM this was not noticeable to the driver
but
when the engine was slowed to an idle sometimes the idle would be
rough until the lifters had 'leaked down.'  This condition can occur in
the
Corvair engine ... especially when the cylinder heads are hot but  the
oil is
not yet up to operating temperature ... and it will limit the engine
output at
high RPM.  Yes, it can reduce the seat temperature relative to the head
temperature and it has long been believed that is why most seats [but not
all] fail after a relatively short time after starting the engine or
during a time
of heavy engine loading.  The damage is cumulative, that is to say over
enough time the movement between the aluminum of the head and the
steel of the seat loosens the seat.

About three years ago my 1942 Chris Craft side valve 6 spit a valve seat
out the exhaust while I was crossing Lake St Clair.  Upon repair of that
engine it was found to have debris, built up over the years, blocking
water
flow to that area of the block.

Four speed Corvairs, with that low ration St gear feel so good many have
a tendency to 'wind the engine out' and that can bring the oil pressure
up
quit a bit ,,, so more valve seats are dropped by those vehicles than
those
blessed with a PowerGlide transmission :-)
Ken P