<VV> Corvair Oilympics

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 19:19:04 EDT 2008

Smitty Says:    I suppose everyone is home by now and starting to run down on talking about the great time they had.  I sure have a few I will be repeating. As you know I had to replace a piston and cam in Spike before I went.  The piston was a long skirt TRW that I trimmed down to a slipper skirt get the weight to match the one on the other side.  Also I reluctantly but desperately stuck in an 891 cam in the place of the 604 that was "eat up".  Add a new set of lifters and away we go with a small sense of foreboding because of the warnings I was getting about valve lofting and valve float.  Hey, the thing was a grenade looking for a place to pull the pin anyway.  The 891 performed quite well "so far".  Power was fairly linear from 4 to 6 thousand where it ran into the rev limiter. (fairly often).  I have lost a bunch of boost someplace , seldom seeing over 10 psi, but I'll deal with that later.
  So because of double drivers Spike survived 40 t0 50 laps at Putnam Park, maybe 15 runs down the strip at Muncie, and 10 runs of the autocross course.  Still sounds like a contented Pussy Cat.    Long Live the GM engineers who designed the engine.