<VV> Do I need to prime fuel pump/fuel system?

Jedd Hebrink jhebrink at anvilcom.com
Tue Aug 5 14:21:30 EDT 2008

Thanks to all for the great advice over the past few months - I finally have
the engine back together and back in my daughter's 66 Monza 110 PG.  I am
trying to start it, and it will start if I pour a tablespoon of gas in each
carb.  But I cannot keep it running because it is not drawing gas from the
tank.  I checked the line at the rubber/metal connection just in front of
the firewall, and no gas.  I can blow into that line and hear bubbles in the
tank.  I am a little nervous about siphoning the line by mouth, and I don't
have an adequate pump to draw gas to that point.

Should the mechanical fuel pump be able to draw gas all the way from the
tank if the line has not been purged?  In other words, do I need to prime
the system, or vent the air that is in the line?  Or, does this scenario
suggest I have a fault with my fuel pump?

The good news is that I seem to have the timing close enough that the engine
will actually run for as long as the gas in the carb holds out.

Thanks,
Jedd
1966 Monza 110 PG
Austin, TX