<VV> Do I need to prime fuel system?

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 5 14:55:20 EDT 2008

Is the tank near empty?  Add a gallon or two.  If there is adequate gas in
the tank, gravity should bring it at least to the firewall rubber
connection.

Also check for air leak at the rubber connections near the tank (before you
add the gas per above sentence?).

The main line through the tunnel could be plugged - mud daubers or some such
while the car was apart.  Disconnect at both ends and blow through with a
compressor.  Don't use the compressor to blow all the way back to the tank
as that will likely blow the strainer off of the pickup in the tank.

Are you smelling gas or noting any wet spots under the car?  That main line
could have an air leak - but that would be highly unusual.  The most likely
air leak is one of the two rubber portions and/or their connections.

You CAN prime the mechanical fuel pump by loosening the tapered bolt and
pushing it up and down several (maybe 30?) times.  This should fill the
bowls in the carbs.  OR - you could just crank the motor over with the
starter, which should not take long to fill the carbs.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140