<VV> Arcing wires in the dark

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Tue Aug 5 19:15:09 EDT 2008

   Never before thought on this fact which must happen on dry weather only. The outer part of the harmonic damper is isolated from the engine body by the bonding rubber and rubbing against the belt all the time, acumulating static electricity. If the outer portion of the dampener becomes close enough (we know it happens) to the timing housing the sparking will occur.
   Worst scenario: Dry weather + outer edge of dampener too close to engine + fuel pump leak... ????

Daniel Monasterio
PS. Will solder a small copper wire between both parts of dampener in all my vairs... just in case.

<<...I noticed arcing/sparks jumping from the balancer to
the timing housing.  Weirdest thing I've ever seen (other than looking
in a mirror).  It must have been static electricity as there is no
electrical connection I could find!  It didn't bother anything and the
engine ran fine the whole event.>>