<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 43, Issue 13

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 19:00:40 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

From: "P.H. Raker" <n556p at yahoo.com>
Subject: <VV> Ignition Timing??  Pertronix??

Hello, all you ignition experts,
     I'm finding a situation with my 'Brier 110/4 that puzzles me.  Much of the
time it runs wonderfully.  BUT, occasionally it will start pinging and knocking
like someone has advanced the timing by about 15 degrees.  Of course, when that
happens, it also gets very gutless - will hardly hold a steady speed.  If I can downshift or coax it up to 3000
rpm or more and hold it there for about 10-15 seconds the problem usually seems
to clear and it gets smooth and quiet again.
     It has a Pertronix 1 installed.  Is there something going crazy in the
Pertronix unit?  Is it something else?  I can't think what else it could be.
     Thanx in (not ignition timing) advance.

Phil Raker

Doesn't  the pertonix module mount to the breaker point plate, which is moved by the original centifugal/vacuum advance mechanisms?  What if the centrifugal advance weights,  springs and pins were all rusty, gummy and nasty, so once the weights flung out they might not feel like retracting when the rpms dropped?

I'd probably watch with a timing light while revving the motor in neutral  several times to 3 or 4krpm and back to idle. If there was any hitchiness I'd disassemble and clean the cent adv mechanism. I would not be surprised to find things loose and worn.

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA