<VV> Corvair Drag Racing (2nd Attempt)

asuter at buckeye-express.com asuter at buckeye-express.com
Tue Aug 5 21:31:54 EDT 2008

I had a thought... (scary, I know)
After reading some interesting articles online and in an issue of Hot Rod Magazine about Volkswagen Bug drag racers, it occurred to me that I'd never seen a 'Vair making anywhere near the power that these VW guys are. There are videos all over YouTube, too. This stuff is crazy! 500, 600, 700 horsepower from 2600cc (and smaller) fours!
What gives? They're working with powertrains eerily similar to ours and they're down 2 cylinders, you know? Some of these fellas are doing with a stock crankcase, even (and they're surviving!). Is it our lack of aftermarket support that hinders us? Granted, these guys are playing with lighter cars, but shouldn't we be able to hang with them? Or is it just that nobody is trying it yet?

Thanks, everyone!
-Andy