<VV> Corvair Drag Racing (2nd Attempt)

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Aug 6 06:28:56 EDT 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 9:31 PM, "" <asuter at buckeye-express.com> <asuter at buckeye-express.com
 > wrote:

> I had a thought... (scary, I know)
> After reading some interesting articles online and in an issue of
> Hot Rod Magazine about Volkswagen Bug drag racers, it occurred to me
> that I'd never seen a 'Vair making anywhere near the power that
> these VW guys are. There are videos all over YouTube, too. This
> stuff is crazy! 500, 600, 700 horsepower from 2600cc (and smaller)
> fours!
> What gives? They're working with powertrains eerily similar to ours
> and they're down 2 cylinders, you know? Some of these fellas are
> doing with a stock crankcase, even (and they're surviving!). Is it
> our lack of aftermarket support that hinders us? Granted, these guys
> are playing with lighter cars, but shouldn't we be able to hang with
> them? Or is it just that nobody is trying it yet?

There are Corvairs making that kind of horsepower. I think they're
mostly out running sand drags in California. Build a 3.1, fuel-inject
it, hog out and flow the ports, put in a huge bump stick, then put a
big turbo on it and bolt it to a dyno. You'll see how much horsepower
you can make with a Corvair. I think you might touch a thousand for a
moment, but don't sniff what's in the fuel tank. Then see if you have
any money left!

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman