<VV> Arcing wires in the dark (Now arcing damper.)

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 6 00:57:28 EDT 2008

I'd speculate that this rather tiny current is grounded through the throwout
bearing is a std trans car - lower resistance than the main bearings.
FWIW, in my previous life as an ion implanter designer, while chasing a
mysterious bearing/grease failure problem, I ran a series of experiments
running low currents ( about a milliamp) through some grease filled ball
bearings.  The resistance was almost unmeasureably low, leading me to
believe that the energy in any sparking was too low to vaporize the metal
surface.  As it turned out, the spalling failures I was seeing were caused
by the high vacuum rated silicone grease I was using - terrible film
strength at low speeds (300 rpm in my case).  The problem only occured when
under vacuum and I was testing at atmospheric pressure so I could see what
was going on.  Of course, nothing was going on at atmospere.  I didn't know
if my boss was going to kill me before or after I went insane.  I finally
tracked down the designer of the grease (who had quit the grease supplier
over their selling of the grease without a warning about the low speed
problem) and he explained the problem to me.  Changed grease, all was well.
They didn't even fire me. ;-)

Roger