<VV> Coil arcing at the pos terminal

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 6 15:09:03 EDT 2008

Maybe I misheard what you were saying.

Was the + terminal arcing to the metal shell of the coil? If so, then I
misread. And there is nothing wrong with the coil. The metal shell is
ground. The black plastic the terminals are mounted in is an insulator.

I thought you were saying the arc was through the insulation of the coil
tower. The reason being the + terminal of the coil should hover around 12
volts to ground. It is the - terminal that sees voltage spikes from the
action of the coil primary winding and points/condenser. The + terminal
would have to be very close to a ground to arc.

Frank DuVal