<VV> 1965 CORVAIR DASH PADDING COLOUR?

Arlette Carl arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:04:51 EDT 2008

Can I ask for my fellow Virtualvair members opinion on the following?

We are changing our 1965 Monza's interior colour from white to red.
I have purchased a complete reproduction red interior from Clarks, have samples of the correct seat belt webbing in red and for the most part I don't believe this change in interior colour will not present any real problems.

However there is one thing that has me confused totally.

Clarks Corvair Parts have provided me with samples of three (3) different shades of red for the padded dash on our 1965 Corvair. They are as follows:

"LG" BRIGHT RED
"LZ" MEDIUM RED
"LY" DARK RED

The dark red ("LY") and the medium red ("LZ") both look a little to dark to me, but I it may look this way on a small sample. The bright red ("LG") on the other hand is brighter than the red upholstery and is perhaps incorrect.

I say the light colour may not be correct because it's my understanding that padded dash trim in GM cars from the 1960s always matched the cars interior colour, but was always a slightly darker in colour than the dash panel.

Using my example, our Corvair would have a darker red dash padding while the rest of the dash would be painted a lighter colour red which would closely match the upholstery colour.

Or did Chevrolet use three (3) different shades on red on dash padding on 1965 Corvairs? Perhaps the base 500 model used a different shade of red dash padding than the Monza or Corsa models?

I would of course like to re colour our cars dash padding the correct shade of red, but don't know which shade of red is right.

U.S.A. paint codes are of absolutely no use in Australia. But if I can get this dash padding colour worked out then the correct shade of red for the dash should be simple enough.

Has anyone got a factory original 1965 Monza with a factory correct red interior that might provide the answers?

Regards from Australia

Carl L. Kelsen
RIGHT HAND DRIVE 1965 MONZA