<VV> Crank Balancer Removal

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Fri Aug 8 10:37:43 EDT 2008

Subject: Re: CRANK BALANCER REMOVAL quick easy way.

you can use 2, 3/8-16X @2 1/2 bolts with an almost full body of threads to
remove the crank pulley. it will leave a couple harmless marks on the flange of
the seal...which you should replace anyhow. it works quick , easy , and in
limited spaces. i have done this many times in junkyards , and once on the
road side.
regards, tim colson
  Smitty Says:  Tim I have done as you suggest and in most cases it does work but I have been reluctant for many years to recommend it , especially to a newbie.  I have seen too many of the crank seals and even the castings destroyed by that method.  I have a balancer on my wagon that is so tight that I have pulled grade 5 bolts in two using a puller like the one Clarks sells.  If somebody tried to pull that one with the two bolt method it would be sure death for something.  No flame intended.  Just offering an opinion.